If you lose the certificate of incorporation for your limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), don’t worry too much – you can easily get another copy of this document. If you registered your company online through Companies House or a company formation agent, a digital certificate would have been sent to you in an email immediately after incorporation. Alternatively, you can download a copy of the certificate through Companies House WebFiling service or the client account you created with your company formation agent.
If you registered your company by post, you will require obtaining a replacement paper certificate from Companies House – you should contact them by phone or email and provide your company name and Company registration number (CRN).
What is a certificate of incorporation?
Companies House issues a certificate of incorporation to all limited companies and LLPs when they are registered. This document proves that the company or LLP has been legally incorporated as per the requirements of the Companies Act 2006 or the LLP Act 2000. You will have to provide this certificate to open a business bank account, apply for a loan or funding, sell shares in your company, or sell your business to someone else.
What information does the certificate contain?
A certificate of incorporation contains a number of important details about a limited company or LLP, including:
- Registered company or LLP name.
- Company registration number (CRN).
- UK country of registration – England and Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
- Company structure – limited by shares, limited by guarantee, Limited Liability Partnership.
- Company law under which the company/LLP is registered.
- Date of incorporation.
- Situation of the registered office address – England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
- Issuing Registrar – Cardiff, Edinburgh or Belfast.
- Official seal of the Registrar of Companies (Companies House).
- UK Royal coat of arms.
Get a replacement certificate from Rapid Formations
Rapid Formations’ free Online Admin Portal is available to all UK-registered limited companies and Limited Liability Partnerships. This sophisticated Software Filing system allows you to access and manage company details online, download incorporation documents, purchase paper copies of incorporation documents, report changes to Companies House, and file annual returns and resolutions online.
Existing customers are automatically registered for this service at the time of company formation. Non-clients can register free of charge at any time to take full advantage of the aforementioned benefits – simply visit our homepage and create a new account by clicking ‘Client Login’ on the top right-hand corner.
- Three ways to improve your record-keeping
- Legalise your UK company documents with an Apostille Certificate
- What company records and registers do I have to keep?
- What are the memorandum and articles of association for a limited company?
- How to get a Certificate of Good Standing for a UK limited company