If you lose your certificate of incorporation for a limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), it is relatively easy to get a new one. Below, we explain the different ways you can get a replacement copy of a lost certificate of incorporation.
1. Through your company formation agent
If you registered your company through an online company formation agent, you may be able to obtain a digital copy from them. At Rapid Formations, our clients can simply download a PDF copy of their lost certificate of incorporation by signing in to our Online Admin Portal. Scroll to the bottom for more information.
2. By searching your emails
If you formed your company online, whether through an agent or directly at Companies House, you would have received a digital certificate via email immediately after incorporation. Simply search your emails using the keywords “Certificate of Incorporation”, “Companies House”, or the name of your company formation agent.
3. Via Companies House Service
A file copy of your certificate of incorporation is available to view online on the Companies House register. To find your file copy, you should:
- Visit Companies House Service
- Enter your company name in the search bar
- Select your company from the list of search results
- Click on the ‘Filing history’ tab
- Scroll down to the oldest entry, which should be listed as ‘Incorporation’, and click ‘View PDF’.
- The first page of this PDF document will be the file copy of your certificate of incorporation
4. Order a certified copy from Companies House
You can order a certified copy of your certificate directly from Companies House for just £15.00. Simply call their contact centre on +44 (0)303 1234 500 to request this. A same-day option is also available for £50.00.
What is a Certificate of Incorporation?
Companies House issues a certificate of incorporation to all limited companies and LLPs as soon as they are registered. This document confirms that the company or LLP has been legally incorporated as per the requirements of the Companies Act 2006 or the Limited Liability Partnership Act 2000.
You will have to provide your certificate on a number of occasions, such as:
- applying to open a business bank account
- applying for a loan or funding
- selling/transferring shares to new investors
- selling the company
What information does a Certificate of Incorporation contain?
A certificate of incorporation contains a number of important details about a limited company (or LLP), including:
- Registered company name
- Company registration number (CRN)
- UK jurisdiction of registration – England and Wales, Wales only, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
- Company structure – limited by shares, limited by guarantee, Limited Liability Partnership, etc.
- Company law under which the entity is registered – i.e. Companies Act 2006, LLP Act 2000
- Date of incorporation
- The situation of the registered office address – England and Wales, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland
- Issuing Registrar – Cardiff, Edinburgh, or Belfast
- Official seal of the Registrar of Companies (Companies House)
- UK Royal coat of arms
Get a replacement of your lost Certificate of Incorporation from Rapid Formations
Customers who form a company through Rapid Formations can download a free copy of their lost certificate of incorporation at any time. Simply sign in to your client account on our website and follow these steps:
- In the ‘Customer Dashboard’ page, select ‘My Companies’
- Click ‘View’ beside the company whose certificate you are looking for
- Select ‘Documents’ on the menu tab
- Click ‘Download’ for the certificate of incorporation to download a PDF copy
If you register a company through Rapid Formations, you can also purchase a hard copy of your certificate of incorporation for just £10.00. Simply sign in to your online client account and head to the ‘Shop’ to purchase.
Rapid Formations Online Client Portal
Rapid Formations’ free Online Client Portal is available to all UK-registered limited companies and Limited Liability Partnerships. Our sophisticated Software Filing system allows you to access and manage company details online, report changes to Companies House, and file and update Confirmation Statements. You can also download digital copies of incorporation documents or order paper copies, including a replacement of a lost certificate of incorporation.
Existing customers are automatically registered for this service during the company formation process. Non-clients can register free of charge at any time to take full advantage of the benefits. Simply visit Rapid Formations homepage and create a new account by clicking ‘Login’ on the top right-hand corner.