If you lose the certificate of incorporation for your limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), don’t worry too much. It’s quite easy to get a replacement and, depending on how you formed your company, you may have a number of options.
1. Check with your formation agent
If you formed your company through an online company agent, they may be able to provide you with a digital copy replacement. Customers who formed their companies through Rapid Formations can download a PDF copy of their certificate by logging into their account – see ‘Get a replacement certificate from Rapid Formations’ below, for more details.
2. Check your emails
If you formed your company online through Companies House, a digital certificate would have been sent to you by email immediately after incorporation. Most company formation agents also send this email out when your company is formed.
3. Download from Companies House
A file copy of the certificate of incorporation will be available to view on the Companies House register. To find your file copy, you should:
- Go to Companies House Service.
- Enter your company name in the search bar and select your company.
- Click on the ‘Filing history’ tab.
- Find the oldest entry, which should be marked as ‘Incorporation’, and click ‘View PDF’.
- The first page of this PDF document will be the file copy of your certificate of incorporation.
4. Order a certified copy from Companies House
You can order a certified copy of your certificate directly from Companies House for just £15.00 by calling their contact centre on +44 (0)303 1234 500. A same day option is also available for £50.00.
What is a certificate of incorporation?
Companies House issues a certificate of incorporation to all companies and limited partnerships when they are set up. This document proves that the company or LLP has been legally incorporated as per the requirements of the Companies Act 2006 or the Limited Liability Partnership Act 2000. You will have to provide this certificate on a number of occasions, such as when opening a business bank account, applying for a loan or funding, selling shares to new investors or selling your business to someone else.
What information does the certificate contain?
A certificate of incorporation contains a number of important details about a limited company or LLP, including:
- Registered company or LLP name.
- Company registration number (CRN).
- UK country of registration – England and Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
- Company structure – limited by shares, limited by guarantee, Limited Liability Partnership etc.
- Company law under which the entity is registered.
- Date of incorporation.
- Situation of the registered office address – England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
- Issuing Registrar – Cardiff, Edinburgh or Belfast.
- Official seal of the Registrar of Companies (Companies House).
- UK Royal coat of arms.
Get a replacement certificate from Rapid Formations
Customers who formed their company through Rapid Formations can download a copy of their certificate of incorporation at anytime by logging into their account on our website and proceeding as follows:
- In the ‘Customer Dashboard’ page, click on ‘My Companies’.
- Click ‘View’ beside the company whose certificate you are looking for.
- Select ‘Documents’ on the menu tab.
- Click ‘Download’ for the certificate of incorporation to download a PDF copy.
Customers who formed their company through Rapid Formations also have the option of purchasing a hard copy of their certificate for just £10.00. Simply login to your account and head to the Shop to purchase.
Rapid Formations Online Admin Portal
Rapid Formations’ free Online Admin Portal is available to all UK-registered limited companies and Limited Liability Partnerships. Our sophisticated Software Filing system allows you to access and manage company details online, download incorporation documents, purchase paper copies of incorporation documents, report changes to Companies House and file confirmation statements.
Existing customers are automatically registered for this service at the time of company formation. Non-clients can register free of charge at any time to take full advantage of the aforementioned benefits. Simply visit our homepage and create a new account by clicking ‘Login’ on the top right-hand corner.