I have lost my Certificate of Incorporation – what should I do?
If you lost your certificate of incorporation, you can get a copy from your company formation agent or Companies House.
If you lose the certificate of incorporation for your limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), don’t worry too much. You can easily get another copy of this document depending on how you set up your company.
- If you formed your company online through Companies House or a company formation agent, a digital certificate would have been sent to you by email immediately after incorporation.
- You can download a copy of the certificate free of charge through Companies House WebCHeck or beta service, or the client account you created with your company formation agent. If you incorporated through Rapid Formations, you can access and download your certificate of incorporation by logging into our free online Admin Portal.
- If you registered your company by post and you would like to order a replacement hard copy, you will have to order one directly from Companies House. You should contact them by phone or email and provide your company name and Company registration number (CRN). However, it’s easier to just download a copy online.
Related: Companies House WebCHeck explained
What is a certificate of incorporation?
Companies House issues a certificate of incorporation to all limited companies and LLPs when they are set up. This document proves that the company or LLP has been legally incorporated as per the requirements of the Companies Act 2006 or the LLP Act 2000. You will have to provide this certificate to open a business bank account, apply for a loan or funding, sell shares to new investors or sell your business to someone else.
What information does the certificate contain?
A certificate of incorporation contains a number of important details about a limited company or LLP, including:
- Registered company or LLP name.
- Company registration number (CRN).
- UK country of registration – England and Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
- Company structure – limited by shares, limited by guarantee, Limited Liability Partnership.
- Company law under which the company/LLP is registered.
- Date of incorporation.
- Situation of the registered office address – England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
- Issuing Registrar – Cardiff, Edinburgh or Belfast.
- Official seal of the Registrar of Companies (Companies House).
- UK Royal coat of arms.
Get a replacement certificate from Rapid Formations
Rapid Formations’ free Online Admin Portal is available to all UK-registered limited companies and Limited Liability Partnerships. Our sophisticated Software Filing system allows you to access and manage company details online, download incorporation documents, purchase paper copies of incorporation documents, report changes to Companies House and file confirmation statements.
Existing customers are automatically registered for this service at the time of company formation. Non-clients can register free of charge at any time to take full advantage of the aforementioned benefits. Simply visit our homepage and create a new account by clicking ‘Client Login’ on the top right-hand corner.By Rachel Craig at Rapid Formations – Follow Rachel on Google +