A company registration number – often abbreviated as ‘CRN’ – is a unique number that is issued to a limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) upon incorporation with Companies House. Your CRN will consist of 8 numbers, or 2 letters followed by 6 numbers. Your company registration number will be displayed on your certificate of incorporation and any statutory company mail sent from Companies House. It will also appear on the public register next to your company details.
You cannot choose or change your CRN – it will be computer generated on a sequential basis depending on your country of incorporation and the type of limited company you register:
- Companies in England and Wales have CRNs beginning with 0 (zero)
- Scottish companies are given CRNs with the prefix ‘SC’
- Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) are issued with CRNs beginning with ‘OC’
Find your CRN using Companies House WebCHeck
To view your company on the Companies House register and locate your CRN, simply enter the registered name of your business into the bright yellow section on WebCHeck. Your details will appear on the screen with your CRN on the left-hand side of your company name – very handy if you can’t find your certificate of incorporation and you have somehow managed to lose every piece of official correspondence from Companies House.
When will I use my CRN?
Generally, you should expect to provide your CRN in the following situations:
- Changing your company name
- Changing your registered office or SAIL address
- Adding or removing a company director or secretary
- Changing the details of directors and secretaries
- Filing annual returns
- Filing annual accounts
- Registering for Corporation Tax, VAT and PAYE
- Paying Corporation Tax
- Filing Company Tax Returns
- Filing copies of resolutions
- Increasing share capital
- Issuing share certificates
- Issuing dividend vouchers
- Changing your accounting reference date (ARD)
You must also display your company registration number on all forms of business stationary, including:
- Official letters, faxes and emails
- Compliments slips
- Order forms
- Invoices and receipts
About our services
In addition to online company formation and company address services, Rapid Formations provides Software Filing through an Online Admin Portal. You can view your company details – including your CRN – report changes to Companies House, download incorporation documents, and file annual returns and resolutions. This facility is available free of charge to clients and non-clients – click here to find out more.
- Can I send information to Companies House in Welsh?
- Legalise your UK company documents with an Apostille Certificate
- What are the memorandum and articles of association for a limited company?
- I have lost my Certificate of Incorporation – what should I do?
- When do I receive my new company formation documents?