What is a company registration number?

What is a company registration number?

Quick Answer

A company registration number (CRN) is a unique eight character reference assigned to a company upon its incorporation. Companies House provides this identifying number and it is printed on the certificate of incorporation.

A company registration number, often abbreviated as CRN, is a unique number that is issued to a limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) upon incorporation with Companies House.

Your CRN will consist of 8 numbers, or 2 letters followed by 6 numbers. Your company registration number will be displayed on your certificate of incorporation and any statutory company mail sent from Companies House. It will also appear on the public register next to your company details.

You cannot choose or change your CRN. It will be computer generated on a sequential basis depending on your country of incorporation and the type of limited company you register:

  • Companies in England and Wales have CRNs beginning with 0 (zero)
  • Scottish companies are given CRNs with the prefix ‘SC’
  • Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) are issued with CRNs beginning with ‘OC’

Find your CRN using Companies House WebCHeck

To view your company on the Companies House register and locate your CRN, simply enter the registered name of your business into the bright yellow section on WebCHeck. Your details will appear on the screen with your CRN on the left-hand side of your company name – very handy if you can’t find your certificate of incorporation and you have somehow managed to lose every piece of official correspondence from Companies House.

When will I use my company registration number?

Generally, you should expect to provide your CRN in the following situations:

  • Changing your company name.
  • Changing your registered office or SAIL address.
  • Adding or removing a company director or secretary.
  • Changing the details of directors and secretaries.
  • Filing annual returns.
  • Filing annual accounts.
  • Registering for corporation tax, VAT and PAYE.
  • Paying corporation tax.
  • Filing Company Tax Returns.
  • Filing copies of resolutions.
  • Increasing share capital.
  • Issuing share certificates.
  • Issuing dividend vouchers.
  • Changing your accounting reference date (ARD).

You must also display your company registration number on all forms of business stationary, including:

  • Official letters, faxes and emails.
  • Compliments slips.
  • Order forms.
  • Invoices and receipts.
  • Websites.

About our services

In addition to online company formation and company address services, Rapid Formations provides Software Filing through an Online Admin Portal. You can view your company details, including your CRN, report changes to Companies House, download incorporation documents, and file annual returns and resolutions.

This facility is available free of charge to clients and non-clients – click here to find out more.

By Rachel Craig at Rapid Formations – Follow Rachel on Google +

Leave a Reply

5 Comments on "What is a company registration number?"

Notify of

Sarah Dunbavand
1 month 15 days ago

Hi I am trying to find out who owns three pubs in London, vague I know so I asked for the registered company number and was given 167634286, nine numbers! I am chasing non payment of invoice dating back to 1 March 2015 and the pubs concerned are The Rose, 35 Albert Embankment, SE1 7TL and The Duke & Duchess, 2 Creed Lane, EC4V 5BR. The invoices have been emailed, statements sent, reminders, every month since, the company accounts person ‘Anita’ will not give me any information about when payment will be made, asked for owner contact details, she refuses to help and put the phone down, and now will not answer at all. Said she did not have the cheque book, although they do not need a cheque book, to pay. The Owners name is John O’Donnell, and thus far that is all the information I have managed to glean from anyone. No managers around ever in the pubs and when I do speak to them, they can’t help or make some excuse not to pay, say the owner will be back on such a day, and I don’t hear back. Is there anything you can suggest?

1 month 19 days ago

So If I go from LLP to Ltd, does my number change?

Set up a Limited Company

With a free business
bank account

From £13.99 plus VAT

Find out more