If you wish to obtain a Certificate of Good Standing for your private limited company, you must ensure your company has at least one ‘natural’ director, that all your annual statutory filing (Confirmation Statements and annual accounts) have been submitted, and that any changes to your company’s registered details have been reported to Companies House.
What is a Certificate of Good Standing?
A Certificate of Good Standing is a document you can request from Companies House to confirm that your limited company has been in continuous existence since the date of its incorporation, that it has adhered to all statutory filing requirements and paid all necessary fees and charges, and that no action is currently being taken to strike the company off the register.
Why would I need a certificate of good standing?
A Certificate of Good Standing is usually required in the following circumstances:
- To open a UK business bank account for a company with only overseas directors
- To open an overseas business bank account for a UK limited company
- To trade overseas or set up an overseas branch or office
- To satisfy lenders, potential clients, suppliers and investors
- To check the credibility of another company
What information is provided on the certificate?
A Certificate of Good Standing will contain the following details:
- Directors’ names
- Secretaries names (if applicable)
- Registered office address
- Date of company formation
- Verification that the company is up-to-date with all statutory filing requirements
- The company’s objects (if applicable)
Why would a Certificate of Good Standing be refused?
Companies House will not issue a certificate in the following circumstances:
- A company is not up-to-date with its annual Confirmation Statement (previously called an annual return) and annual accounts
- A company has supplied insufficient information to Companies House about its ownership or constitution
- A company does not have at least one natural (human) director
Certificates are only valid for 3 months from the date of issue. After this time, organisations and authorities will usually expect a more recent certificate.
Rapid Formations services
You can purchase a Certificate of Good Standing online through Rapid Formations. Our Standard service is available for just £49.99 (excl. VAT) and you will receive your certificate within 5 working days. Alternatively, if you place an order before 1pm Monday-Friday and select our Express service, your certificate will be issued within 24 hours. This service is available for £99.00 (excl. VAT).
To place an order for a certificate, you will be required to provide your name and contact details, your company name and registration number, a delivery address for the certificate, and an invoice address. Certificates will be delivered via Royal Mail to any UK or overseas address for no additional charge.